Friday, November 6, 2009

Celebrations!

It was my mom's birthday on wednesday. I'll just say it was an even number. We went out for a big meal in the Oriel. We were fussy and got them to open the restaurant at the back just for us, instead of being in the bar. There was about 20 of us altogether. Oh the awkwardness! Greeting people that I'm not even sure of their names. I saw a cousin of mine who I haven't seen since I was about 6. He's 28 now although he only looks 21. I shook his hand like I was in a job interview. So we got to the table. Of course the young people gathered at one end, and the "seasoned" crowd were down the other. I went all out with the meal, getting things I never usually touch and after eating them, I know why I don't. As the night wore on, it was the young ones who were falling asleep in their chairs. Not through boredom, just plain exhaustion. So as our end of the table was quiet, we listened to the others and I realised something, the art of conversation is dying a death. My granda and uncle Jerry were telling stories and they're just hilarious. When they talk, you listen. It's like having Barrack Obama in the room. Whereas most people my age are content to sit in silence, myself included. Something must be done! I'll get Mr.Cowen to add it to his to-do list.
Highlight of the night was when the birthday cake was coming out, and just as everyone was about to start singing, I got a text alert saying Liverpool had scored and jumped out of my chair screaming. Then I remembered where I was and sheepishly joined in the singing. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment